The Commissioner of Geology and Mining is working under the Industries and Mines Department Government of Gujarat. It's working head office is at Udhyog Bhavan, Gandhinagar . It's 32 mineral offices are working at respective districts. Mineral exploration circle are working at Vadodara, Ahmedabad and Rajkot. Flying Squad officers are working at Rajkot and Gandhinagar. It comprises a core team of Commissioner Additional Directors. Dy. Director, Sr. Geologist, Geologist, Assistant Geologist, Chemist with technical & office staff.
The main functions of Commissioner of Geology and Mining are:
1. Search and Exploration of Mineral wealth of the State by adopting state-of-the-art exploration techniques.
2. Mineral Administration with conservation and preservation.
3. Increase State’s mineral revenue through higher production of minerals & their sustainable development framework.
4. Encourage value addition of minerals usage through promotion of mineral based industries in the State.
5. Prevention of illegal mining.